Why U2? – Reason #15

whyu2I wonder sometimes how fans of other bands rationalize in their own heads supporting someone who behaves like they belong behind bars. How do people convince themselves that it’s OK to buy Chris Brown’s music, for instance? Despite his much-publicized proclivity toward beating women, he still enjoys a career with top-ten singles and gold-selling records. Jimmy Page, guitarist for the beloved rock band Led Zeppelin (don’t get me wrong – I love their music, too) once had an affair with a 14-year old girl! I guess it is OK to separate the art from the artist; nobody’s perfect, after all, but I really love that U2 have never done anything so horrible that I’m embarrassed to tell people that they’re my favorite band. Yeah, there’s the tax thing, but really, how many of us can say that we’d NOT take the chance to save millions of dollars if it was presented to us? Yeah, Adam had a couple of brushes with the law regarding marijuana back in the day, but is there anyone out there who really believes that pot is that big of a deal? I know it’s still illegal in some places, but, honestly. If that’s the worst thing Adam ever does, he’s definitely gonna beat me to Heaven. The four guys who make up U2 aren’t angels – like I said above, nobody is perfect – but after following the band closely for the better part of my life, I honestly believe that they’re decent human beings, and I’m not ashamed to admit that they’re my role models.

The following two tabs change content below.

broadsword

Ever since I realized as a kid, while poring over the liner notes of the Bob Marley - Songs of Freedom boxed set, that writing about music was a viable career choice, one of my greatest desires has been to write about U2. The band has been a major part of my life for as long as I can remember, and I'm thrilled to have this opportunity to contribute a little something to the fantastic online community that's been built around the band.

Latest posts by broadsword (see all)

Leave a Reply